Trish made it home and took a nap before the kids made it home from school.
I just got off the phone with Dr. Robert who gave an update. From his history with Rudy, he feels signs are pointing more toward an infection around the tracheostomy. Since Trish left, Rudy’s breathing became more of a struggle so he was put back on the vent. This brought his color and sats right back. Rudy has shown signs like this before as infections have come on. The irritation and occasional bleeding from inside the trach, a condition they call trachietis, are contributing pieces of evidence. They asked me to give consent to start a picc line, but they aren’t sure yet if that’s a step they’ll take. They have to decide if the IV they have started will work for the blood draws and antibiotic regimens they will likely have to start.
You can bet it’s an emotional setback to already be returned to decisions regarding vents and piccs, but the team does feel that cardiac issues are not contributing factors. That’s good news, but the reality is that we’re looking at 7 to 10 days for the antibiotic course. So, Trish is gearing up to head back down this evening.
More when we have it. Thanks for keeping in touch and praying.