Yesterday evening, as the ICU and surgery teams were working out their schedules, they ended up taking Rudy off the list as they had to prioritize other cases. They would work to add him in if there were any cancellations, but I found it tough to hope and pray for that as surgeries like this don’t usually get cancelled because the patients heal themselves. As crazy as we are about our own little patient, we need to keep in view that this is a hospital full of sick kids and the team has to make choices. A member of the surgery team just came in about an hour ago to tell me personally that it wasn’t going to be today. So, right now Rudy is the second case on Wednesday.
As the team rounded today, Dr. Rick decided to do something about the vent as Rudy got put back on late last week so that he’d be fit for surgery Friday and then continued on in case it would happen today. So, we’ve been dialing things around a bit to give him some exercise. After five days on support, taking him off cold turkey was a bit too much, so now we have him on pressure support only and he’s been sitting on my lap for about four hours peacefully napping or studying his surroundings.
Trish is on the way down so we can switch up this afternoon.