For those of you who have school-aged children in your life, you’ll know the significance of “100 Days of School”. Every year for the past 7 years at least one of our kids has come home with the assignment to count out 100 kernels of corn or pieces of pasta to paste on construction paper OR they’ll parade out of school proudly wearing a “100 Days” hat they made that day in their classroom to commemorate the 100th day of the school year. Well, I’m not sure Rudy can count out 100 pieces of bow tie pasta (maybe we’ll try 100 M&Ms later!) but today does mark his 100th day at UCLA (1 day in labor & delivery/NICU and 99 days in the CTICU). I think we’ve mentioned before that Rudy has the distinction of being the first and remains the only occupant of room 5439 in the new Mattel Children’s CTICU. Reaching 100 days in the hospital isn’t exactly the happiest of milestones but it does mean 100 days of life for Rudy for which I’m deeply grateful…so let the celebration begin!
Today started off with a vagal-episode which happens when secretions impede the flow of oxygen to Rudy’s heart causing his O2 sats to plummet and his heartrate to spike, initially, but if it is left unattended the lack of oxygen causes the heart rate to lower and that’s bad. This happens periodically and it has happened a couple of times in the last 36 hours. It’s easily rectified with a “bag-vent” and suction and, thankfully with Rudy, once he is treated his numbers bounce back but it’s still unsettling to watch. I woke up this morning to the alarms of the vent and monitor when Rudy started to vagal so I started the day a bit disoriented. Once they got him cleaned out, the RT started Rudy on a two-hour sprint but he got tired after 45 minutes. Right now he is resting on 20bpm but they’ll drop that rate back down to 10bpm in a little bit and try a sprint again later.
Although these episodes have postponed his sprint schedule, they have not interrupted his vent rates. Aside from the little break he is getting right now, Rudy has held steady at 10 bpm with a pressure support of 10 most of the week so, all in all, Drs. Robert and Brian feel we are still making progress. I’m not sure if any of this will postpone the extubation attempt early next week. We’ll have to wait and see.
I’m planning to head back to SB early this afternoon. I hate to leave Rudy, though. The past couple of days have been a little unsettling and I’m paranoid to leave him so hopefully he’ll stabilize and find a comfortable place and stay there until Daddy and Maxi come tomorrow (Saturday). Please pray for Rudy’s strength and his ability to recover quickly from any kind of episode. He needs to learn to calm himself down eventually when he gets upset or agitated. He certainly has alot of opportunity to practice! Go, Rudy, Go!!!!