When Rudy last saw the Docs at UCLA in early June, the hope was to push the Glenn back to late September or early October putting us back in the hospital around Rudy’s 1st birthday. Well, after today’s appointment with Rudy’s SB cardiologist, it looks like we get to hold off and push it back even more which means we can party at home on October 1st!!! Yippy!!!
As much as I would love to have a general timeframe for the next heart surgery so I can begin planning for the family’s needs during Rudy’s next hospital stay, the fact that we get to wait another month to answer this question is a good thing for Rudy. Strong lung function is important to the success of the Glenn procedure where the superior vena cava is ligated (or cut) from the heart and connected directly to the pulmonary artery. The “blue” blood then goes directly to the lungs instead of through the heart. Given Rudy’s chronic lung disease issues, the more time his lungs have to grow and strengthen, the better! In layman’s terms, it is risky right now to do the Glenn procedure on Rudy but there will come a time in the not so distant future when the risk will lie in NOT doing the procedure. We’ll know this shift has occured when Rudy’s oxygen sats lower and remain low even when he is on oxygen. Our next scheduled appointment with Dr. Harake (SB Cardiologist) is October 9th…if things remain the same for Rudy, we’ll plan another 4-week appointment and so on until his condition changes and surgery is finally on the table (no pun intended).
The “not knowing when” is driving me crazy but it is clear that the best approach to managing all the intricate unknowns of the next few months is to not attempt to manage it at all and take it ONE DAY AT A TIME…why do I have to CONSTANTLY remind myself to do this? Correction…I’M driving me crazy!!!! 🙂
Most importantly, at 17 pounds and 27 inches, Rudy is doing well today and we pray for his lungs to heal and his body to continue to grow preparing a healthy foundation on which to take the next step in this HLHS journey. Thank you for your continued prayers as we all wait together!